Galaxy Backgrounds with Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Inks + Water
Hi everyone and welcome to this New Post! I am so excited to share this one today because I had the best time making this card I hope you like it and learn from it. 🙂 All the link to the products that I used bellow*
How to make a Galaxy background with Distress Inks
I’ve started by choosing different colors of Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Inks. This is the list of colors that I used and the order.
Mustard Seed (yellow), Spun Sugar (light pink), Picked Raspberry (pink), Dusty Concord (dark purple), Black Soot (Black)
First Step: Blending
Take your time to blend the colors together you’ll see it is worth the effort 🙂
Second Step: Get your Galaxy background
This step is what will give your background the apearence of a galaxy. Here are some examples of how you can get this cool effect. Yay!
With a Cotton Bud squeeze some few drops of water on the background. Tip! do it close to the background and see how the water reacts with the Distress Ink and spreads outwards. Let it air dry or use a Heat tool to dry it quicker.
With a ball Point Pen, or a embossing tool/stylus use a minimum amount of water to put small drops of water you can also use a tooth brush and splash water all over the background. Tip! in this step you can do as many drops as you like unlike the previous step where you only squeeze a few bigger drops. Let it air dry or use a heat tool 🙂
Now, with white paint and a paint brush or a tooth brush splash several drops of paint on the background. Tip! for a better result splash the white paint on the air and let it fall on the background instead of splash the paint directly to the background surface, this way you make sure the drops will look like little white points. Have a wet wipe on hand for this step. 🙂
Now, we want to make bigger drops of white paint for this we will use the same ball point pen or embossing tool/stylus to do so. Let it air dry or use a heat tool to dry it quicker.
Last step: Decoration
I used my mini star punch and I got 11 stars out of a silver cardstock, you can also use star stickers and/or you can cut some stars out of a cardstock your choice! At this point I knew that I wanted to glue the stars left hand side of the background and I used my glue pen for this.
I thought it would be cool to draw some sort of trail behind some of the stars and make it shooting stars. I used a small comb to do so. Dip the comb in the same white paint you used before, carefull! don’t use too much or you won’t get this effect instead you’ll get a line… Tip! I recommend you to practise on a different paper until you’re confident.
This is the last step (completely optional) At this point I though my background needed some shine so I used my glitter glue and my ball point pen/ embossing tool/stylus to draw some tiny glitter dots all over the background.
This is the background once finished I cut the borders and glued it to a silver cardstock I used the little astronaut and the sentiment “You mean the WORLD to me” from My Favourite Things Stamps BB Space Explorer. I heat embossed my sentiment with my embossing tools ( links bellow)
I coloured the little astronaut with my Ohuhu 100 Color fine & Chisel Tips Markers used the colors show on the left.
Products and Links (USA & UK)
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Inks 3″X 3″ Ink pads (UK LINKS)
- MUSTARD SEED | CraftStash
- SPUN SUGAR | CraftStash
- PICKED RASPBERRY | CraftStash
- DUSTY CONCORD | CraftStash
- BLACK SOOT | CraftStash
- MINI INK BLENDING TOOL | CraftStash
- MINI INK BLENDING TOOL REPLACEMENT PADS | CraftStash
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Inks 3″X 3″ Ink pads (USA LINKS)
- MUSTARD SEED | Scrapbook.com
- SPUN SUGAR | Scrapbook.com
- PICKED RASPBERRY | Scrapbook.com
- DUSTY CONCORD | Scrapbook.com
- BLACK SOOT | Scrapbook.com
- MINI INK BLENDING TOOL | Scrapbook.com
- MINI INK BLENDING TOOL REPLACEMENT PADS | Scrapbook.com
Ohuhu 100 Color Fine & Chisel Tips (Amazon.co.uk) £51.99 (£0.51/ per marker)
Other tools/ products
- RANGER DYLUSIONS ACRYLIC PAINT WHITE LINEN | CraftStash
- HEAVY BODY ACRYLIC PAINT – WHITE | Scrapbook.com
- STAR BORDER CRAFT PUNCH | Hobbycraft.co.uk
- SIZZIX – TIM HOLTZ PAPER PUNCH – STAR, SMALL | Scrapbook.com
- TOOL PAPER SCULPTING KIT BUNDLE| CraftStash
- WE R MEMORY KEEPERS – EMBOSSING STYLUS – 3 PIECES | Scrapbook.com
- SILVER 20 SHEETS OF A4 GLITTER CARD | Hobbycraft.co.uk
- TONIC STUDIOS – CRAFT PERFECT – SILVER FOIL – 5 PACK | Scrapbook.com
- TheWorks: Sizzix Making Essentials Collection Embossing Powders – 3 Pack| Theworks.co.uk
- TheWorks: Sizzix Clear Embossing Ink Pad
- RANGER ANTI-STATIC POUCH IN WHITE | CraftStash
- RANGER ANTI-STATIC POUCH IN WHITE | Scrapbook.com
- HobbyCraft: Hobbycraft Heat Tool
- Sizzix Heat Tool 663386, Dual Speed, UK/EU Version, Multi Colour, One Size, Multicolour